- Correcting errors in spelling, grammar, word usage and punctuation.
- Ensuring consistency in spelling, hyphenation, numerals and capitalization.
Note: A light copyedit does not include smoothing transitions or changing heads or text to ensure parallel structure.
- Changing text and headings for parallel structure.
- Ensuring the consistency in plot, setting and character traits.
- Enforcing consistent style and tone.
- Rewriting problematic writing.
- Smoothing transitions and moving sentences to improve readability.
- Focusing on overall structure and content.
- Rewriting and restructuring the text.
Note: Developmental editing may also involve altering the content.
- Securing the rights to use part or all of a previously published work (text, artwork, music, etc.).
- Checking and marking the text for any errors after editing is complete.
- Ensuring that the changes have been made correctly.
Note: Some basic copyediting tasks may be combined.
- Verifying the accuracy of the content.
Note: No editorial changes are made.